| The Plateau |
I found a
website that explained the phenomenon called “The Plateau”. They say that it happens when, even though you are doing the exercise and food changes, you stop losing weight! It is very irritating and can
cause disillusionment. (No kidding!)
Here is my
version of what they said. When the body
is put on a reduced calorie diet, the rapid drop in weight is normal. (I have never had it happen before…but…THEY say
it is “normal”.) The body gets the energy that it needs by releasing
glycogen, a carbohydrate
stored in the liver and in the muscles. One property of glycogen is that it
retains water, so when it is released or “burned” by the body, it also releases
the water! (So THAT’S why my ankles look normal again!!! Much of the weight that I lost WAS water
stored in my cells!)
So now,
and this is the REALLY bad news, my body’s equilibrium is changed and my
metabolism is actually SLOWER! Yes, that’s right…it is SLOWER! And I thought it
couldn’t GET any slower! I was wrong.
If I am to
continue to lose weight, I must increase my activity even more and decrease my
calories. Or so says the article. But…my calories are already too low and I do not think that I should spend MORE hours walking and doing the exercise videos - it is already quite a bit! I am going to the doctor next week, so we
shall speak to her about this and see what she has to recommend.
I’ve
actually been in this situation before. A few years ago, I struggled through 20 pounds or so of weight loss and then...NOTHING! So I worked out more and did more cardio, and
I ate less…and no change on the scale.
So, I worked out MORE and did MORE cardio…and ate less ‘til I felt like
I was starving…and STILL no change on the scale. So, I worked out MORE…well, you get it. And then, Tony broke his leg and
the whole “running to the gym” thing didn't work anymore and … the cycle stopped. And boop! just like a fishing bobber, I popped right back up on the scale!
I will do
the research and let you know what I find out.
If YOU know anything…share it with me!!! I will not let this "plateau" stop me this time!
I want the sort of body and health that is up to this lifestyle that we have chosen!
(here is the site where I got all of the good info. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss-plateau/MY01152)


No comments:
Post a Comment