Monday, April 16, 2012

What the Doctor Said (two surprises)


So, today I went to the doctor! It was SUCH A JOY to step on the scale! Even though I know that I’ve gained about 4 pounds since I changed my diet from 800 calories a day to 1000-1100 calories a day, it still reflects quite a weight loss since December! (Remember: I wasn’t counting calories, just noting what I ate, and when I went back to count how many, I had averaged 800!!! This is not good. It has slowed my metabolism WAY down – the “famine effect”.)
Doc said to up the calories to 1200.  I am afraid to do that!  Then, she said that I should also increase my activity even more (as if I have time).  It appears that my “diet” (1 c. or less every hr. or more) is something like “The 17 Day Diet” and suggested that I get the book!  She does think that if I will continue to closely monitor all of this, that I will again begin to lose weight.  I sure do hope so!!!
One addition to my arsenal of diet changes is this: drink at least one cup of green tea with each meal.

So, I looked up the benefits of green tea – great stuff! Supposed to be good for your heart, to fight against cancer and… tada! …great for weight loss!  Most of you probably already knew that.
Oh! And another surprise!  Do NOT eat ANY carbs! No long-grain rice, no barley, none of it! Not for the 17 days, and then add them in small amounts.  So, I’ll do that too.
So, even though I want the next 20 pounds to fall off as easy as the first 20 did, it isn’t going to happen.  However, I AM going to put some more changes into play.  Eat more broccoli, kale, Brussels sprouts and other veggies.  Add more olive oil. And also, drink more green tea!  I am going to start the one minute jog-3 minutes walk training until I get up to straight jogging.  (This is NOT good news for me, however, I will need the increased stamina when I am on my mission trips…so it IS a good idea even if I do not like it.)
sorry it is blurry - park where I will do my jogging (I already walk 1 - 1 1/2 hours per day here)

No magic formula.  No pills.  No surgery.  Just hard work and planning.  <sigh> Here we go!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Praying over your journey. It sounds so much like Sugar Busters--something I have used for over 20 years whenever I gain a few pounds. I try to watch every week and if I go up 5 I go back to the discipline.
    Love you girl.
    sm

    ReplyDelete